Thread: Dutch Oven Recipes?

Dutch Oven Recipes?

One of my favorites is meat sauce cheesy potatoes. (A recipe from Byrons).

Dinner Sauce
    2 lbs. extra lean ground beef (2) 10 ? oz. can cream of mushroom soup
    1 large yellow onion; diced (1) 10 ? oz. can cream of chicken soup
    7 cloves garlic; minced 1 1/2 cup sour cream
    salt and pepper to taste 2 Tbs. worcestershire sauce
    2 bags frozen tater tots 1 Tbs. soy sauce
    4 cups colby jack cheese; shredded 1 1/2 tsp. thyme
    1 1/2 tsp. marjoram

salt and pepper to taste

Heat a 14" Dutch oven using 22-24 briquettes bottom until oven is hot. Add ground beef, onions, and garlic to hot oven, season with salt and pepper, and fry until beef is brown and onions are translucent. Remove the ground beef and onion mixture from the oven and place in a large bowl. To the bowl add all the sauce ingredients and stir to mix.

Layer 1 bag of tator tots in bottom of oven. Spoon one half of the ground beef sauce mixture over the the tater tots. Sprinkle one half of the cheese over the sauce. Layer again with the second bag of tater tots, the rest of the remaining sauce, and the remaining cheese.

Cover and cook 90 minutes using 12-14 briquettes bottom and 14-16 briquettes top heat rotating oven and lid every 10-15 minutes.

Serves: 15-20

Anyone else have any favorites they'd like to share?

Re: Dutch Oven Recipes?

That sounds yummy
    It's not the size of the fish in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the fish!

i like the serves 15-20 part...
    party at Tonys!
    Tight Lines & Screamin Reels!

Quote Originally Posted by preed
    i like the serves 15-20 part...
    party at Tonys!
    If you are using a 12"+ DO, do not try and modify the portions. We tried cutting everything in half using a 12", and there wasn't enough meat sauce to cover the entire layers of tater tots. If you're going to make it, make the whole thing, and do left overs, as they are excellent as well. My wife and I ate this concauction for three days after making half the servings, and it only got better.

All parties at Tony's are BYOB btw.... as I go through my own pretty quick, and will no doubt need reinforcements.

All parties at Tony's are BYOB btw.... as I go through my own pretty quick, and will no doubt need reinforcements.
    And when is this going to happen??
    It's not the size of the fish in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the fish!

Quote Originally Posted by Fishermans Choice
    Thats a good question. Maybe some time this summer we'll have to put together a Dutch Oven cookout somewhere... maybe on the shore/bank of a lake or river? Anyone got any lake/river front property?

Quote Originally Posted by Tony_M
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishermans Choice
    Thats a good question. Maybe some time this summer we'll have to put together a Dutch Oven cookout somewhere... maybe on the shore/bank of a lake or river? Anyone got any lake/river front property?
    I know of a very nice couple who live on the river. And depending on when this would take place, I am sure they would more than happy to have a river front cookout/party. I think that after Labor Day weekend, would be a great time for a fishing rehab cookout.

It would be pretty cool to put together some kind of judged contest... where each contestant puts together their best DO recipe, and a panel of judges tastes each one, and awards a winner. Because the serving sizes are typically rather large, everyone who attended could eat for free! There could be beer.... mmmmm. Beeeeeeer....

sounds like fun... burma landing campground sometime this summer.
    i warn you though my wife can cook!

Tight Lines & Screamin Reels!

And I'll be the Judge !!!
    May your Reel's be Strong